Small update, big difference

As the weeks dwindle down until Baby G2 arrives,
we are trying to get things settled around the house as much as possible.
You could call it nesting, but honestly, it’s coming more from Greg than me!
I said it once, and I’ll say it again, men nest too.

A couple months ago (yes I’m a little behind), we were strolling through Lowe’s,
and passed by one of their tables full of random clearance items.
I was stoked when I saw a small can of the Rustoleum Countertop Transformation tint,
even better, it was marked down to $2.50! At that point, I didn’t care what color it was.
The dark gray/putty color was exactly what I was thinking for the counter top in our laundry room.

IMG_8151

I don’t advise any pregnant women working with this product… it is strong!
Greg ended up doing all the work and airing out the laundry room as best as he could.
The wait time between coats was three days, which I thought was a little absurd,
but we marked it up in less than three days, so I recommend following directions.

The original counter top in the laundry room was less than desirable.
You can refresh your memory here.

IMG_8274

IMG_8275

I’m not sure if I’m more obsessed with how good it looks,
or the fact that we only paid $2.50 for the can. Either way, it’s a dramatic difference.

The second update was a slightly bigger project than the first, but it’s something
that was on my to-do list from the day we moved into the house.
Finally, Greg was on board and all of a sudden, just wanted to get it done! I gladly accepted.
I am and have been obsessed with the long, skinny handles for the kitchen cabinets,
so I knew that’s what I wanted. It was just a matter of buying them and getting them done.
IKEA had the best price on them and had different sizes to choose from.
We went with the 13 9/16″ LANSA handles for the regular cabinets & drawers,
and the 17 1/2″ LANSA handles for the wide drawers.

It took Greg about four evenings after work to change out the 50 cabinets and drawers in the kitchen.
This included drilling an additional hole for all the cabinets since there were knobs previously.
He also had to patch all the holes on the drawers where the previous handles were
in order to drill two new holes for the new handles.

IMG_8312

IMG_8313

You can see our previous kitchen updates here.
We love the new look and I’m so happy we finally got around to doing it!

Slowly but surely, we’re making progress.

4 thoughts on “Small update, big difference

  1. You two never cease to amaze me!
    I think there is a second career here for both of you.
    You work well together.
    Two more great re-dos accomplished.

  2. Pingback: Home Sweet Home :: One Year | The Gilbertson Family

  3. Pingback: Where the laundry gets done… | The Gilbertson Family

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s