Marathon Training {Week 8}

On October 8th, I will be running the 40th Chicago Marathon as part of team Ronald McDonald House Charities.


Rest day!


I started my run later in the morning due to the amazing weather in Indiana. Tuesday was speed work and my workout included the following.

1.5 mile warm up
1 mile (goal pace 8:45-9:15)
.5 mile recovery
Repeat 2 times
1.5 mile cool down

I started out really well, even with the rolling hills in my parent’s neighborhood. My warm up was pretty quick at a 9:40 pace and my first mile repeat was an 8:40 pace. My recovery run took me to the end of the sidewalk on whatever street I was running on, so I turned around. My second mile repeat was 8:46. I was feeling really good at that point knowing I only had one more left. I ran up a hill during my .5 mile recovery but I was ready to tackle my third mile. During my third mile repeat, I looked down at my watch and it was paused. I was so upset. I have no idea what happened, how long it had been paused, or what my watch was doing at that point. I was so annoyed that I decided to just stop the workout and run. Since I was closer to my parent’s house again, I stopped at 6 miles, though I was supposed to do 7 total. The positives of my run was that I crushed the first five miles of my workout, the weather was amazing, and I saw some good scenery on my run.




I decided to sleep in, so I went to the Y after work for one mile on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the elliptical. I haven’t gotten on the elliptical in a while because it started to hurt my feet. I was definitely feeling it the next day.


Unfortunately, I was back in the heat and humidity for Thursday’s run. This run was a true testament that the weather really makes such a difference from one run to the next. Thursday was SO hard. My 6 miles ranged from 9:59-10:21 but I felt like I was running on empty. The run also took a lot out of me. It took me a good couple of hours to recover. I felt completely drained.



After Thursday’s run, I decided to take another rest day before my long run on Saturday.


Leading up to Saturday’s run, I felt the most nervous I have been through training. I’m not sure why 20 miles seemed so much longer than 18 miles which I just ran a couple weekends ago. Either way, it was weighing on my mind. Arriving home from my mini-vacation in Indiana on Tuesday night threw a kink in my week. I wasn’t eating very well and I didn’t do much to really prepare for my run. My alarm went off at 3:10am and it was go time. We started our run at 4:15am and set out to do 20 miles. We stopped to pick up new friends along the way which was super fun. The run was a struggle. It was the hardest run yet, both mentally and physically. I kept thinking about how I could have eaten better, stretched more, rolled my legs, etc. but I didn’t do any of those things. By miles 14-16, everything hurt. I finished. As I continued to think about it the rest of the day, I let up on myself a little bit. I ran 20 miles and that is something to be damn proud of! I now know how to better prepare for my 22 miler in a few weeks, so that’s a win too.





Greg and I took the kids to the Y so we could run next to each other on the treadmill. I did my 5 mile recovery run and felt pretty good afterwards. As the evening went on, my legs started to hurt more. I made a point to stretch and roll before bed!


As week 8 comes to an end, I am officially halfway through our training plan! Only 8 more weeks to go!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s