orange ice

We’re not talking about italian ice today, but the color of our guest bathroom downstairs.
We call this the “pool bath” since there is an exterior door that goes right out to the back patio.
Unfortunately, there is no pool out there on the patio, but that’s what it’s called nonetheless.
I think baby G2 will claim this as his or her bathroom since it’s right by the second nursery,
and since Kenley has her own bathroom in her room. However, it’s the only bathroom downstairs that
is available for guests to use… got it? Good.

IMG_4111

Much like the rest of the house, the bathroom was pretty boring when we moved in.
White and basic with the standard builder grade mirror, light fixture, and towel racks.

Several weeks ago, Greg found a light fixture on Craigslist for $35!
Since he was in the process of changing out the light, we thought it only made sense
to paint the bathroom since the light was already off the wall.
And you know we couldn’t stop there…
Over the course of the entire weekend, Greg painted the bathroom,
put up bead board (one piece we already had leftover),
installed crown molding (again, we already had a piece leftover),
and framed out the mirror.

IMG_8161

IMG_8159

Greg confidently said that this would be the last crown molding project he’ll complete.
For some reason, it was much worse than the family room project.
But, it looks great!

IMG_8153

I contributed by adding the last few accessories we needed to match the bathroom set
we got for Christmas last year. I believe it’s being (or has already been) discontinued,
but it’s the Kate Spade Candy Shop line from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

IMG_8155

IMG_8160

IMG_8158

I’m pretty sure this shower has only been used twice since we’ve moved in,
but I foresee us using it soon for some baby baths.
This is also where we have our cloth diaper sprayer, so the bathroom itself
gets used every day, even if it’s not by guests.

Overall, I am so happy with how it turned out. The color is definitely bright,
but I like to think ahead several years down the road when little feet are
trampling back and forth from the pool to the bathroom that it’ll be the perfect color.

Have you done any bathroom updates lately?

coffered and crowned

Our family room has a coffered ceiling, which is one of the things we fell in love with in the very beginning.
As soon as our offer was accepted on the house, ok… maybe a little before that,
we started planning what we wanted to do to the ceiling.
After searching for ideas on Houzz or Pinterest, which actually becomes overwhelming,
we had a good idea of what we wanted it to look like in the end.
The next task was actually getting to that end result!

IMG_4093

This is the best before photo I have of the ceiling. This the family room on the day we closed.
The door on the left goes into the master bedroom. The sliding doors on the right go out to the patio.

We knew we wanted to paint the inside of each box a dark gray color.
Our final decision landed on Valspar Wet Pavement and it worked out perfectly.
Greg borrowed a 10 foot ladder for this project because our ceilings are insanely tall,
we’re talking 12 feet tall and 13 feet inside the coffered squares.

IMG_5184

Over the course of two nights and one gallon of paint, Greg painted all six squares.
The final verdict was that it was better painting with the extender on the ladder (as shown).
Each square has a pot light, which meant the light bulb was removed and the cover was popped out.
Since we knew that the crown molding was the next step, there was no taping required.
The painting was the easy part.

IMG_5188

The entire next day was dedicated to crown molding.
Greg measured every single box, because of course, they weren’t all the same,
that would have been too easy, right?

IMG_5200

Thankfully, Santa brought Greg a miter saw for Christmas, so it made this project more fun.
He has experience cutting crown molding from the framed mirrors.
The trick is to cut the molding upside down and backwards.

IMG_5199

He concentrated on one box at a time, cutting all four sides of molding at once.
To put them up, he used a nail gun… thanks Chris for letting us borrow your Christmas gift!
Once all four pieces were up, he wasn’t quite done yet.
He used finishing caulk between each piece and the nail holes.
Greg didn’t move on to the next box until the previous one was completely done.

It may seem like he whipped right through these boxes, but it wasn’t that easy.
If just one cut was off just a little bit, the two pieces would not line up together,
causing him to cut and re-cut, until the two pieces were flush.
There was a lot of up and down on the ladder throughout the course of the day.
It literally took the entire day…like 10 hours!

IMG_5920

Before we started this project, there was much discussion on how we were going to go about this,
and I’ll be the first to admit that I said several times that we should just hire someone to come do it.
I think it was all in the stress of moving and getting settled right in the middle of the holiday season,
coupled with having a 13-14 month old running around, yet still going about our daily lives.
I am so glad Greg convinced me otherwise!
It was so nice having my parents here after Christmas to help with other things while Greg got this done.
I am especially thankful we didn’t hire someone after we were watching HGTV
and they estimated that crown molding labor was around $1500 (!!) for one room.

The supplies we used for this project include:

1 Gallon of Valspar Wet Pavement paint – $33
2 EverTrue 8-piece Primed MDF Crown Moulding – $176.87 (with 10% off coupon)
2 DAP White Caulk – $4

The grand total on this project was $215 and it was worth every penny.
We love the new look!

IMG_5919